Phone convo w/ my NUT

My nutritionist called me this a.m. to discuss my hypoglycemic issues. I'm leaving for work soon so here are bullet points...

  • Breakfast --- must be protein only... ex. omelet w/ cheese and a bit of veggies
  • Lunch --- more protein... very little carbs ... ex. meat and a small green salad or veggie
  • Dinner ---more protein... add complex carbs...ex. meat and a veggie and brown rice or whole grain pasta
  • The goal is to get my blood sugars to be between 70-100 when I wake up in the morning and before I go to bed. (aka: fasting blood sugar)
  • 2 hours after a meal my blood sugar should be 140. If not I must eat a small of protein at that point and test again in 2 hrs.

Since DJ has a glucose meter it makes it easy for me to test. Peter (the NUT) wants me to test upon waking up, then 2 hrs after eating (and keep a food journal) for a week, then report back to him.

Something interesting he mentioned is that I've had this problem for a long time and just didn't know it. He said that over time our bodies try to adapt, and that my blood sugars have probably been getting lower and lower all the time, but I hadn't "felt it" until now, b/c I'm in the danger zone... (he mentioned black outs and seizures...) He said essentially my body is killing itself. :( When he said that I shuddered. My own body? Killing itself? Yikes. Who wants to hear that?

It scared me straight. I will have test strips by Monday. I wish DJ hadn't have run out. Perfect timing, eh? He swear he has another box of them somewhere, but I've searched and can't find them. I am sure I can make it over the weekend following this lower carb woe and then will start tracking and testing on Monday.

I felt a slight low yesterday, but ate some lunch meat and felt fine about 30 mins later. I work tonight so if I have any issues at work, I'll have the nurse test me there.

Have a great weekend everyone! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great plan. I'm sorry you have to stick yourself so frequently throughout the day. Ouch!

Mary in TN